The alert log captures messages and errors including:
- All internal errors (ORA-600), block corruption errors (ORA-1578) and deadlock errors (ORA-60)
- Admin operations, such as CREATE/ALERT/DROP statements, STARTUP, SHUTDOWN and ARCHIVELOG statements
- Messages and errors relating to the functions of shared server and dispatcher process
- Errors occurring during the automatic refresh of a materialized view
- System crashes
The table below provides the default location for the log file and the query you can run in case location has changed.
|Log format||Oracle version||Tags||Default file location|
|Plain text||10g/11g/12c (Linux and Windows)||
show parameter background_dump_dest;
select value from v$diag_info where name = 'Diag Trace';
|XML||11g/12c (Linux and Windows)||
select value from v$diag_info where name = 'Diag Alert';
- You can monitor the alert logs in either text format or XML format, depending on what the Oracle Database administrator has configured.
- As listed in the table above, the text format and XML format alert logs coexist in 11g/12c. You only need to monitor one of them.
- Note that the alert log in XML format has more information than the one in plain text.
Have we answered your question?
If not, please contact our technical support team via email by clicking the button below.CONTACT US