Create a new alert
Alerts are tasks that continually monitor active queries to look for and report on specific events or conditions. Therefore, alerts are created from within the Data Search area where queries are made.
- Go to Data Search in the navigation panel. Open the data table.
- Query the data, applying the transformations necessary to identify the alert condition.
- Select New Alert Definition from the table toolbar. The New Alert Definition window appears.
Fill in the requested information in the New Alert Definition dialog window.
These are the fields to complete in this form:
Message A short message used to identify the alert condition. When a triggered alert is distributed by e-mail, this text is included in the e-mail subject. Similarly, the Message text is displayed in the Alerts History, as the Detailed Information. You can include the field values associated with the alert in the alert Message using the case-sensitive variable $columnName. Description The full description of the alert condition. When distributed by e-mail, this text will appear in the e-mail body. In the Alerts History, this is the information displayed when you use the drop-down control to expand the Detailed Information. You can include the field values associated with the alert in the alert Description using the case-sensitive variable $columnName. Subcategory Alerts created by Devo users are always created under the My Alerts category. This is the subcategory you will use to group this alert. Alert Name This should be a descriptive title for this alert. It will appear in the Alerts History in the Alert column.
- You set the trigger condition in the lower part of this window. Depending on the transformations you applied in the query, you will have different choices available.
- If your query does not group the events you can choose from Each, Several, and Low.
- If your query does group the events you can choose from Each, Deviation, and Gradient.
For information about using all of these, see the alert trigger methods article.
- Click Create to save the alert.
The new alert is automatically associated with the default sending policy. If you want to choose a different one, go to Administration → Alerts Configuration to Assign a sending policy to the alert.