Creating new alerts
Alerts are tasks that continually monitor active queries to look for and report on specific events or conditions. Therefore, alerts are created from within the Data Search area where queries are made.
Be aware that in order to define new alerts, you need to have a role with management permissions on Alert configuration and also in My Alerts or any of the subcategories (Administration → Roles → Permissions and Alerts tabs).
- Go to Data Search in the navigation panel. Open the required data table.
- Query the data applying the operations and filters necessary to identify the alert condition.
- Select New Alert Definition from the table toolbar. The New Alert Definition window appears.
You cannot create an alert on a query that has been blocked. The New Alert Definition button will not appear in the toolbar and you will see the Incognito Mode button. Click it and select to clone the query in order to be able to create the alert.
Fill in the requested information in the New Alert Definition dialog window.
These are the mandatory fields to complete in this form:
A short message used to identify the alert condition. This text is displayed in the Alerts History, found in the Summary column.
You can include in the alert Summary the field values associated with the alert using the case-sensitive variable $columnName. Take into account that only those fields strictly related to the alert are valid and they depend on the trigger method used. See each Alert trigger method to know the accepted fields.
The full description of the alert condition. When distributed by e-mail, this text will appear in the e-mail body. In the Alerts History, this is the information displayed when you use the drop-down control to expand the Summary.
You can include in the alert Description the field values associated with the alert using the case-sensitive variable $columnName. Take into account that only those fields strictly related to the alert are valid and they depend on the trigger method used. See each Alert trigger method to know the accepted fields.
Subcategory Alerts created by Devo users are always created under the My Alerts category. This is the subcategory you will use to group this alert. Alert name This should be a descriptive title for this alert. It will appear in the Alerts History in the Alert name column. When a triggered alert is distributed by e-mail, this text is included in the e-mail subject. Priority Indicates the priority assigned to this type of alert. Choose from five levels: Very Low, Low, Medium, High, and Very high.
- You set the trigger condition in the lower part of this window. Depending on the transformations you applied in the query, you will have different choices available:
- Click Create to save the alert.
- The new alert is automatically associated with the default sending policy. If you want to choose a different one, go to Administration → Alert Configuration. Check the Manage sending policies article to know how to do it.
Once you have some alerts created, you can create an alert based on them. For more information, see Create an alert based on triggered alerts.