Create custom roles to control user permissions to carry out specific actions, or to access the applications, dashboards, and panels in the domain.
Create a role
By way of example, let's create a custom role specifically to grant access to the applications features related to creating panels.
- Go to Administration → Roles. The existing roles, including Admin and No Privileges, are listed in vertical tabs on the left. To create a new one, click New Role.
Enter a Name and Description for the new role. Then, in the Permissions tab, select a subset of available permissions in the box on the left and move it to the box on the right using the arrow icons. Click Applications and follow the same process to select the applications that the new role will have access to. Repeat for the Dashboards and Panels tabs to grant access to specific dashboards or panels as needed.
Hover the mouse over a permission in the Available list and click the information icon to see a description of the permission.
- If you want to give the role access to the finders in Data Search, you must add the View finders permission. When you do it, the Finders drop-down list will appear. Select Default to give the role access to the default finder, or choose one of the custom finders available in your domain.
- Click Create. The new custom role will appear in the list of roles on the left. You can now assign this role to new or existing users.
Clone an exisiting role
Another way of creating a new role is by cloning an existing role that already has a similar set of permissions and allowed applications.
To clone a role, go to Administration → Roles, select the original role from the list of vertical tabs on the left, then click theicon in the upper-right. This opens a new role form with the same list of permissions and applications already selected. You only need to enter a Name and Description for the new role and make any necessary changes to the permissions and allowed applications, dashboards, and panels. Click Apply Changes to create the new role.
Modify or delete a role
When you modify or delete a role, the permissions for users who have/had that role will have new permissions the next time they log into the domain.
- Go to Administration → Roles. The existing roles are listed in vertical tabs on the left.
- Select the role that you want to modify or delete.
- To delete the role, simply click the icon in the upper-right of the window.
- To modify the role, you can change the permissions and applications granted for the role, or edit the name or description. Click Apply Changes when done.