Share and download Activeboards
Who can share Activeboards and with whom?
Activeboards can be shared with other roles in the domain in two different ways:
- Using the Share to roles icon Learn more below. next to the Activeboard name. This option only appears in edit mode and is available for users with the Activeboards (manage) or User resources permission.
- Making the Activeboard shareable by checking the Share Activeboard option, then assigning the Activeboard to the required roles in the Administration area. The Share Activeboard option only appears in edit mode and is available for the owner of the Activeboard and users with the User resources permission. Only users with the required permissions to access the Administration area (usually Admin users) can then assign the Activeboards to the required roles. Learn more below.
No matter the method used, the permission level assigned to the role with which you want to share an Activeboard (view or manage) will dictate the type of access that the users have. For example, a role that only has the Activebords (view) permission can only be granted access to Activeboards in view mode. This is further explained in the sections below.
Share an Activeboard with a role from the own Activeboard
- Click the icon next to the Activeboard name. Remember that this option only appears if the Activeboard is in edit mode.
- You will see a window that shows the roles you can share the Activeboard with. The roles you will see depend on your permissions:
- User resources: you will see all the roles in the domain that have either Activeboards permission (view or manage) or User resources permission.
- Activeboards (manage): you will see the roles assigned to yourself that have either Activeboards permission (view or manage) or User resources permission.
- Select the permission level you want to assign to the role (view or edit). Note that roles with the Activeboards (view) permission can only be given view access to a shared Activeboard, and roles with the Activeboards (manage) or User resources permissions can be given view and edit access.
Let´s say an Admin (a role that has the User resources permission and can see all the roles that have access to Activeboards) wants to share an Activeboard with two different roles, one with view-only access to Activeboards (Activeboards-view) and the other with the manage permission (Activeboards-manage). The admin will be able to grant view-only access to the Activeboards-view role, and full access to the Activeboards-manage role. Notice the Edit option is grayed out for the Activeboards-view role to indicate that the role cannot have this permission level.
- Click Apply.
Share an Activeboard with a role from the Administration area
Make an Activeboard shareable
Click the ellipsis button next to your current Activeboard name and select the Share Activeboard option to make your Activeboard shareable. This means that you can now assign it to specific roles and enable their users to view or edit it. Remember that this option only appears if the Activeboard is in edit mode and is available for the owner of the Activeboard and users with the User resources permission.
Assign an Activeboard to a role
To assign a shareable Activeboard to a role, a user with the required permission must go to Administration → Roles from the navigation pane, select the required role from the left panel and click the Activeboards tab. You will see your shareable Activeboards on the list, and you can grant view or manage-level access to the role.
In the following example, we are giving our Manage_Activeboards role manage-level access to the Business Monitoring Activeboard. Learn more about roles and how to manage them in Managing roles.
As in the other sharing method, keep in mind that roles with the Activeboards (view) permission can only be given view access to a shared Activeboard, and roles with the Activeboards (manage) or User resources permissions can be given view and manage access.
A warning message appears if you try to give manage-level access to a role that has only the Activeboards (view) permission or share an Activeboard with a role that does not have any of the 3 mentioned permissions.
How can both sharing methods be used together?
Let's say that an Admin user creates an Activeboard and wants to grant access to the users in a specific role with the Activeboards (manage) permission. Furthermore, the users with that role must be able to share it with other roles assigned to them.
To do this, first mark the Activeboard as shareable, checking the Share Activeboard option. Then, go to the Administration → Roles area and share it with the required role. Since this role has the Activeboards (manage) permission, the users will be able to click the Share to roles icon and share that Activeboard with other roles they are assigned, as long as they have the Activeboards (view), Activeboards (manage) or User resources permissions.
In this way, Admin users can hand responsibility for sharing their Activeboards to other roles in the domain.
How can I identify shared Activeboards?
Shared Activeboards and Activeboards marked as shareable are represented with this iconin the Activeboard manager. If you hover over the icon, you will see a tooltip indicating so. When you open one of these Activeboards, this icon appears next to their name.
You can also download the content of your Activeboard to a PDF. To do this, just click on the ellipsis icon next to the current Activeboard name and select Download as PDF. The file will download automatically and contains an easy-to-read snapshot of all the inputs and charts that make up your Activeboard at that time.