Create and customize a panel
If you're new to Devo, we recommend this 5-minute video that takes you through the process of creating a panel and enriching it with alerts and query data.
For detailed instructions for creating a panel, the procedure in this article covers how to:
- Create a panel
- Add items to the panel
- Establish the connections between the items
- Customize the display settings for each item and connection in the panel
Once the panel diagram has been drawn, alerts and queries can be linked to panel elements in order to provide real-time information about performance and conditions. To learn how to do this, see the articles:
For now, let's create a panel and customize it.
Select Panels in the navigation pane. Open the panel name drop-down list and select Create New Panel. If this is the first panel to be created in the domain, you will instead see a welcome message with a button to create your first panel.
- The panel editor opens with an empty canvas in edit mode. Enter the Panel Name, then click Create. The new panel is saved.
Three new buttons appear at the end of the toolbar.
- Update - Click to periodically save the changes you have made to the panel. This does not take you out of edit mode.
- Delete - Click to delete the panel.
- Back - Click to leave edit mode. If you have unsaved changes, you will be prompted to save them before exiting. To enter edit mode again, click on the left of the toolbar.
- To start designing your panel, click and drag items from the palette on the left to the canvas.
- Create connections between panel elements by clicking on the origin item's arrow node and dragging it towards the destination item.
With your items in the panel and connections established between them, you are ready to apply visual settings to the items and connectors in the panel. First, let's work with the items. Click an item in the panel to display the settings pane to the right of the canvas.
The settings vary depending on the type of item but you may see settings organized into the following groups:
Text These settings let you enter a label for the selected item and customize the appearance of the text using font family, color, and weight. Color This settings group only appears for items that were taken from the Infrastructure and Devo Utils areas of the item palette. This contains a color selector where you can change the color of the item. By default, all items are black. Presentation, Inner Polygon/Ellipse, Outer Polygon/Ellipse
These settings groups only appear for items that were taken from the Basic Shapes area of the item palette. They control the appearance of the shape selected including color, line thickness, and rounding of shape corners. When the selected shape has two outlines, the polygon groups appear so that different styles can be applied to each outline. There is a special shape called image in the Basic Shapes group.
This item enables you add custom icons or images to your panel. The Presentation setting for this item contains an Image URL field where you enter the URL of the image you want to use. This means that you are by no means limited to the icon set provided in the palette by default.
Geometry The settings in this group regulate the item's size and location on the canvas. These are often more easily changed using the resizing and repositioning controls on the items themselves. Data
This group contains a free text field where you can save notes or comments related to the selected panel item. This can be useful for saving any additional identifying information for the item that is not expressed in the label. This information is only available to users who open the panel in edit mode.
Now that you've tailored the items on the canvas, you can now enhance and tweak the appearance of the connectors. Hover over a connector in the panel and click the gear icon to display its settings to the right of the canvas.
Labels You can create one or more text labels to appear along the connector line. Use the position control to move the label towards the beginning or the end of the connector. This is especially useful if you want to display multiple labels along the connector line. Connection These settings control the appearance of the connector in terms of line type (solid or dashed), color, and weight. Source Marker and Target Marker
These groups regulate the color and size of the arrowheads at the beginning or the end of the connector. By default, the source marker is set to size 0 so that an arrowhead is not displayed. To display an arrowhead at the beginning of the connector, increase the size in the Source Marker group.
- Click Update to save the panel, then click Back to exit edit mode. The panel will then be displayed in view mode.
- Once in view mode, the Panel visibility slider appears in the toolbar letting you keep the panel Private, for your use only, or make it Public to share it with other domain users. Making a panel public does not automatically grant domain users the ability to access it. You'll need to go to Administration → Roles to grant the different domain roles access to the panel. Learn more in Managing roles.
Note that in view mode the icon palette and settings pane disappear, and the toolbar buttons change. This is how all domain users with the necessary permissions will view and interact with your panel. For more information about view mode, see Using panels.