Autoparse a my.app table
When you create a new
my.app.* data table by sending data from a new, proprietary data source for which there is no Devo tag, the event fields are not parsed when you first open the table. This is because Devo hasn't been equipped with an internal parser for the data received.
In certain cases, the autoparser can be used to parse these data tables quickly and easily. For the autoparser to work optimally, the log events must:
- contain the same number of fields in the same order.
- use delimiters in the same pattern in every event.
If the log events you need to parse do not conform to these requirements, the autoparser may not be your best way forward. In those cases, contact customer support to request a custom parser for your
Note that the autoparser is not available in
my.app tables created by injecting data from another table, since these are already properly parsed.
How it works
The Autoparser uses an internal logic to analyze the content of up to 200 sample events in an unparsed
my.app.* table in order to identify:
- non-alphanumeric ASCII characters that might be field delimiters.
- units of data that follow a common and fixed syntax; i.e. IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, strings enclosed in quotation marks, floating-point decimal values, and more.
Based on this analysis, it recommends a selection of characters that are likely (and less likely) to be delimiters. Using the autoparser controls, you can select the delimiters that you need and deselect the rest. By testing the same delimiter pattern on different sample events, you can confirm that it will parse your data table as needed.
The Autoparser will only offer as delimiters those characters that appear in all the 200 logs analyzed. For example, in this series of logs...
- a, b, c, d
- x, y, z
...the comma will not be offered as a delimiter since the third log does not include any.
Autoparsing a my.app data table
- Go to Data Search, and select the new
my.app.*table using the finder.
- Click the Column Operations icon in the toolbar and select AutoParser.
- Select or deselect the symbols identified as possible field Delimiters.
- Select the number of sample events you want to analyze in the No. of Samples dropdown menu. Include additional samples to test the same delimiter pattern on different sample events and confirm that it will parse your data table as needed.
Once satisfied that you have selected the correct pattern of delimiters, assign names and select the required data type for each column.
Select the Hide checkbox for any columns you do not want to include in the parsed table.
- Click Confirm settings.